Leighs Village Hall, located in the village of Great Leighs near Chelmsford, was built in 1936 on land donated to the village and with funds raised within the village.
Over the past 75 years the hall has been at the centre of village life, no more so than during the 2nd world war, when it played host to large numbers of American aircrew at the weekly held dances.
By the turn of the millennium the Council of Management set about planning for the extensive renovation and extension that were urgently needed for the hall to meet it’s increasing use.
Aided by money from the agreement associated with the new housing development within the village, extensive fund raising and generous help from funding bodies and Essex County Council, a £730,000 project was successfully completed in December 2009.
Leighs Village Hall is now able to offer the highest possible standard of accommodation to all its users with the benefit of two halls that can be used separately or combined and serviced by a large modern fully equipped kitchen and excellent toilet facilities including disabled facilities.
The hall is available for hire by organisations or individuals and there is no requirement for the users to be village based. Great care has been taken to ensure easy and safe access, especially for the elderly or disabled.
Everyone is welcome.
Inspection of the schedule of regular users will hopefully provide everyone with an opportunity to join in with the local community as well as providing the venue for parties, clubs, meetings, receptions and celebrations.